How to learn English by yourself? Effective methods and advices
Learning English can be an important step in your life, as it allows you to expand your career, study and communication opportunities with people from different parts of the world. Thanks to the possibilities of the Internet and various resources, you can learn English independently and effectively. In this article, we will talk about various methods and tips that can help you learn English on your own.
Set an objective
One of the most important aspects of learning English is setting a goal. You need to understand why you need English. It can be for travel, work, studying at a foreign university or just for fun. Setting a goal will help you orient yourself in your studies and become more motivated to achieve success.
Create a plan
After setting the goal, it is necessary to create a plan for learning English. Your plan should include the time you are willing to self-study, listen to audio and video materials, and practice. When creating a plan, determine which parts of the language you will study and which resources you will use. As a tip, we will give one of the standard plans for independent study of the English language.
A plan for self-study of the English language
- Assess your level of English to understand where to start your studies. You can take free tests online.
- Choose the technique that suits you the most. Try several techniques to find the one that really works for you.
- Make a study plan, taking into account the necessary number of hours to reach your level of English. Beginners at level A1 usually need approximately 200 hours of study, for level B2 – 400 hours.
- Learn new vocabulary, working gradually from simple greetings and elementary dialogues to complex topics.
- Develop your understanding of the English language through reading and listening. Listen to songs, watch videos and pay attention to the sound structure of the language. If you are a beginner, listen to children’s songs and short videos with very clear pronunciation.
- Study grammar with beginner’s books, make a list of grammar topics you need to study, and complete tasks to put theory into practice.
- Periodically monitor your progress by taking tests to determine your language level. This will help you understand how successfully your studies are progressing and what you should pay attention to during further study.
Learn vocabulary and grammar
Vocabulary and grammar are the basis of any language. You need to know and understand basic grammar rules and learn new vocabulary. Use different resources such as books, online courses or smartphone apps to learn new words and phrases. All the necessary grammar and vocabulary you need is on our portal.
Practice the language
Practice is the key to successful English learning. Practicing the language is very important. Talk to friends who speak English. If there are no such friends, try to find an interlocutor on the Internet on various forums. Communication with native speakers, written and oral practice – this is what will help you understand how to use the learned words and grammar rules in real life. Try to find an opportunity to practice English in different situations, for example, communicating with foreigners on forums or social networks.
Listen and read
Listening and reading English can help you become more confident in English. Listen to audiobooks and podcasts in English and read books, articles and newspapers.
Use English in everyday life
You can use English in everyday life: for example, subscribe to English-language blogs or newspapers, visit English-speaking countries where you can communicate with local people. Practice English in real life situations – communicate with native speakers, find native friends online, join social media groups, translate texts and exchange experiences with other independent speakers.
Memorize words and phrases
Memorizing new words and phrases is an important stage of learning English. Use different memory techniques, such as associative thinking, and repeat new words and phrases to remember them. Try the following methods:
- System of mnemonics: connect words and phrases with visual associations, help yourself remember through colors, images or associations.
- Spacing effect (interval repetition): Regularly return to the studied material at set time intervals for better memorization.
- The word-game is a Peg-System method: we remember new words or phrases through the relationships of similar images.
Create an immersive environment
To learn English as effectively as possible, try to create an immersive environment. This can be subscribing to English-language news, watching English-language TV shows and movies, communicating with native speakers, and using English in your daily life. If possible, try to find friends who are also learning English or join an online community. This will help you get more practice and make learning English more enjoyable and interesting.
Don’t give up
Learning English can be difficult and some people give up halfway through. However, it is important not to stop there and continue to develop. Motivate yourself and don’t forget about your goals. Mistakes are part of the process of learning English. Do not be afraid to make mistakes and do not pay attention to how others evaluate you. Every mistake is an opportunity to learn something new and improve your knowledge. Don’t let the fear of making mistakes stop you from learning English.
Use different resources
Learning English should be considered as a process of interacting with the language at different levels. You can use various resources such as textbooks, video lessons, audio and video materials, apps and games, music and movies in English. Using a variety of resources, you will be able to learn the language in different formats and at different levels of difficulty, which will help you to enrich your vocabulary, improve pronunciation and understand grammar.
- Online resources: You can use free platforms such as Duolingo, BBC Learning English, TED talks, YouTube channels and others. You can find out which applications are the best in our article: Top 5 free mobile apps for learning English
- Books: Read English textbooks and books in English that match your language level.
- Audio and video: Listen to songs, podcasts, movies or series with subtitles, educational materials in English. We recommend reading the article: Best TV Series to Learn English
- Artificial Intelligence:
Do not forget about rest
Remember that independent study of the English language requires discipline, systematic practice before learning. Invest in the process and you will enjoy the results of your increased communication skills. Learning English is hard work, and you need time to rest and relax. Don’t forget the importance of a healthy lifestyle that includes getting enough sleep, regular exercise, and a healthy diet. This will help you maintain energy and motivation to continue learning English.
Learning English on your own is possible, and you can succeed with a variety of resources and methods. Start by learning vocabulary and grammar, practice the language, listen and read English, use it in your everyday life and don’t give up when you get in the way. Enjoy the process of learning English and be successful.