Improving business English: basic office words and phrases for effective communication
One of the key skills for a successful career in today’s world is knowing the English language. Especially in an office environment, where communication with colleagues, clients and partners from other countries becomes a necessity. Therefore, by familiarizing yourself with important vocabulary for the office, you will be able to communicate confidently and effectively in this environment. In this article, we will look at some key words and expressions that are worth knowing.
Basic English vocabulary for the office
- Schedule a meeting
- Attend a meeting
- Chair a meeting
- Postpone a meeting
- Prepare a presentation
- Give a presentation
- Visual aids
- Q&A session
- Compose an email
- Reply to an email
- Forward an email
- Make a phone call
- Answer a phone call
- Leave a voicemail
- Hold the line
- Work together
- Delegate tasks
- Prioritize tasks
- Meeting agenda
- Formal greetings
- Professional attire
Practicing popular office-related words for beginners
Table of popular words related to the office for beginners
|ball pen||bɔːl pɛn|
|coloring pencils||ˈkʌlərɪŋ ˈpɛnsəlz|
|conference room||ˈkɒnfərəns ruːm|
|filing cabinet||ˈfaɪlɪŋ ˈkæbɪnɪt|
|letter tray||ˈlɛtər treɪ|
|by the book||baɪ ðə bʊk|
|office chair||ˈɒfɪs tʃɛər|
|shredded paper||ˈʃrɛdɪd ˈpeɪpər|
|Spiral binding||ˈspaɪrəl ˈbaɪndɪŋ|
TOP 20 popular phrases for the office in English
- Can I have a word with you?
- Could you please send me the file?
- Let’s schedule a meeting for tomorrow.
- I’ll take care of it.
- We need to meet the deadline.
- Can you give me an update on the project?
- I’m running late for the meeting.
- Let’s discuss this in more detail.
- We’re on track with the project.
- I’ll forward you the email.
- Could you please make copies of these documents?
- We need to brainstorm some ideas.
- Let’s set up a conference call.
- I have a question regarding the budget.
- Please sign the contract.
- We need to improve our productivity.
- Let’s collaborate on this project.
- I’ll take notes during the meeting.
- We have a new employee joining our team.
- Thank you for your hard work.