Everything about the bathroom in English: Your guide to daily hygiene
Whether you’re learning English or just expanding your vocabulary, having a good command of basic bathroom words is crucial to communicating effectively in everyday situations. In this article, we will consider a list of words related to the bathroom, as well as their meaning, examples of usage, and Ukrainian translation. At the end, you will be able to test your knowledge based on the prepared test.
Towel and Flannel: The Basics of Hygiene
Towel and flannel are two fundamental items found in every bathroom. A towel is a piece of cloth used for drying after washing or bathing. Similarly, a flannel is a cloth used for washing oneself. For instance:
- After a refreshing shower, I reached for a soft towel to dry off
Personal Care and Grooming
Maintaining personal hygiene is essential, and the bathroom is the hub for personal care items. Soap is used for cleansing, while a toothbrush keeps your teeth clean.
- Using soap, I washed my hands thoroughly
- Don’t forget to replace your toothbrush every three months
Getting Ready and Styling
The bathroom is also where you prepare and style yourself. Razor is essential for a clean shave, and a comb helps you manage your hair.
- He used a razor to groom his beard.
- I always carry a comb to keep my hair neat
Relaxation and Self-Care
The bathroom isn’t just for basic hygiene; it’s also a place for relaxation and self-care. Bathtub provides a space for a soothing soak, and shampoo keeps your hair clean and fresh.
- After a long day, I enjoy unwinding in a warm bathtub
- Using a quality shampoo, I ensure my hair stays healthy
The most popular vocabulary for the bathroom
- Towel: A piece of cloth used for drying something.
- Flannel: A piece of cloth you use in the bathroom to wash yourself.
- Scales: Devices used to measure weight; in the context, used by the friend to know how much he weighs.
- Soap: A substance that you use to wash yourself with.
- Toothbrush: A brush for cleaning your teeth.
- Razor: A sharp instrument for removing hair, especially from a man’s face.
- Shampoo: Liquid soap used for washing your hair.
- Shower: A thing that you stand under to wash your whole body.
- Towel-rail: A bar that you use to hang towels and other things on.
- Comb: A piece of plastic or metal that you use to make your hair tidy.
- Bathtub: A long, large container that you fill with water to sit in and wash yourself.
- Bathroom: A room where you can have a shower and perform personal hygiene tasks.
- Sink: The thing in a bathroom or kitchen where you wash your hands, face, etc.
- Toilet paper: Paper used for hygiene purposes in the bathroom.
- Tiles: The material (usually ceramic) used to cover the floor and walls of a bathroom.
- Hairbrush: A brush used for grooming and styling hair.
- Toothpaste: A substance used for cleaning teeth.
- Scissors: Cutting instruments used for various purposes.
- Shaving-foam: A foam used for shaving to soften hair and protect the skin.
- Carpets: Floor coverings made of woven or tufted fabric.
- Nail cleaner: A tool used for cleaning nails.
- Nail brush: A brush that is used for cleaning nails.
Table with popular vocabulary words for the bathroom
|Towel||ˈtaʊəl||I need a clean towel.|
|Flannel||ˈflænəl||She uses a flannel for washing.|
|Scales||skeɪlz||The scales show my weight.|
|Soap||soʊp||Please pass me the soap.|
|Toothbrush||ˈtuːθbrʌʃ||Don’t forget your toothbrush.|
|Razor||ˈreɪzər||He uses a razor to shave.|
|Shampoo||ʃæmˈpuː||I need to buy shampoo.|
|Shower||ˈʃaʊər||I take a shower every morning.|
|Towel-rail||ˈtaʊəl reɪl||Hang the wet towel on the towel-rail.|
|Comb||koʊm||She used a comb to style her hair.|
|Bathtub||ˈbæθtʌb||I love relaxing in the bathtub.|
|Bathroom||ˈbæθrum||The bathroom needs cleaning.|
|Sink||sɪŋk||The sink is clogged.|
|Toilet paper||ˈtɔɪlɪt ˈpeɪpər||Can you hand me the toilet paper?|
|Tiles||taɪlz||The bathroom tiles are blue.|
|Hairbrush||ˈhɛrbrʌʃ||She used a hairbrush to detangle her hair.|
|Toothpaste||ˈtuːθpeɪst||Don’t forget to brush with toothpaste.|
|Scissors||ˈsɪzərz||I need a pair of scissors.|
|Shaving-foam||ˈʃeɪvɪŋ foʊm||He applied shaving foam before shaving.|
|Toilet brush||ˈtɔɪlɪt brʌʃ||I used a toilet brush to clean the toilet bowl|
|Carpets||ˈkɑrpɪts||The bathroom has soft carpets.|
|Nail cleaner||neɪl ˈkliːnər||She used a nail cleaner to tidy her nails.|
|Nail brush||neɪl brʌʃ||Use a nail brush to clean your nails.|
Knowledge test: all about the bathroom
Having a solid understanding of bathroom-related vocabulary is essential for effective communication in English. From towels and soap to razors and shampoo, these words play a crucial role in daily life. By mastering this vocabulary, you’ll feel confident discussing personal care routines, grooming habits, and even relaxation techniques. Whether you’re a language learner or simply looking to expand your vocabulary, this guide will help you navigate the world of bathroom essentials with ease.